Thursday, May 23, 2013

Back Pain Solutions, Use Medication Or Chiropractic, Plano Chiropractor Offers Alternatives You Need


As a Chiropractor in Plano, TX, I see patients who take over the counter or prescription medication all the time to relieve their back pain. I prescribe certain regimens of care for a majority of patients who have continual pain with their neck and back. The variations of therapy I offer do not include recommending drugs, even though most of my new patients have been taking some form of pain relief before they see me. The family doctor and doctor of chiropractic definitely approach the practice of healing from different perspectives. It's common place for anyone that has continual pain to first seek help from their family doctor because society has taught us that the physician is the first line of defense against sickness, illness, and injury. Sadly most physicians will prescribe some form of drugs for whatever ache or pain you feel before thinking about referencing the expertise of a chiropractor. I don't tell my patients to ignore their doctors advice, but I will tell them that pain killing drugs are a temporary fix that does not get at the root source of the problem.

How do I Determine The Source

When I first meet with a new patient that has back or neck issues, I ask for a detailed health history, along with asking a series of targeted questions which will reveal information about what they feel has caused the source of their problem, verify medication they're taking, past and present lifestyle, forms of recreation, and work background. Once we've discussed all these areas, I'm going to do a full exam, x-rays and possibly an MRI. After reviewing the compiled results I will visit with the patient to share with them where I believe the root cause of their problem exists. Whether it's an impingement of the nerve, a compressed disc, or cervical issue, the findings will guide me to the problem area and I will determine an immediate course of action along with explaining their options. I realize that some patients will continue to use drugs to alleviate their pain but I do suggest that they try alternatives that most have not even considered.

Alternative Gels, Balms and Rubs

Many chiropractors are firm believers in tested and proven topical rubs and ointments for minor back or neck issues. This is an economical solution in conjunction with rest and hot/cold compresses which work better than just taking Tylenol or Advil. You might buy Icy Hot or Myoflex right off the shelf, but I've found that these only provide minimal pain relief. One that you can't buy at your pharmacy or Super Center is BioFreeze. Many chiropractors have found that this alternative to store bought rubs last longer, penetrates deeper into the muscle and joint, and has no side effects. If you're an athlete, weekend warrior, desk jockey, busy parent, or senior, you need to have this supplement handy when you tire of taking your med's. This product is a roll on rub you can apply directly to the muscle or joint. Patients tell me that they've received pain relief up to 6 hours using this product. As I mentioned, this is an option if it is discovered that you have only minimal issues with your back that can be dealt with in a short time. Otherwise you will need to look at more stringent measures that I've listed below.

Chiropractic Alternative Treatments To Consider Instead of Medicine

There are various forms of therapy I use to treat the many spine related issues my patients confront me with daily. For the majority of back problems I see, I find that a combination of spinal decompression, electric muscle stimulation, and cold laser therapy will return the back to a much quicker state of pain free health. These (3) techniques along with gentle stretching exercises, use of stretching bands, and possible nutritional supplements work wonders for my patients. These are just a brief list of the alternative treatments that can be used instead of relying solely on medicine. My training, education, and years of experience has convinced me that there is almost always a chiropractic solution besides taking a pill, which will end most any pain you're feeling or future recurrence that's related to your neck, back, and other joints.

I want to stress that most any course of treatment I recommend requires a team approach with myself and the patient working together to achieve a return to better back health. For therapy to be a success, it happens both at my office and at the patients home. To really solve the root cause of pain the patient is feeling requires active participation through self administered exercises and dedication to following the regimen set by your chiropractor. With the correct diagnosis and therapy, patients can heal quickly and return to a normal routine free of the pain they have. I want to stress that chiropractic won't solve every health problem related to the spine, but more and more people are turning to doctors of DC as an alternate source of healing to avoid the continued use of prescription and over the counter drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment